It's an oldschool/boomercore game not by just looks and engine, but by gameplay. That means:
- Sprawling levels that offer a degree of freedom and don't hold the player's hand. Exploring, hunting secrets, backtracking, patience and having to figure out what to do next is key. Monsters and pickups are hand-placed and vary according to the difficulty you play on.
- Original story packed with lots of lore and doubled by a permeating atmosphere. Intensive attention to detail and world building.
- Gory, fast paced shooting, a solid arsenal of weapons and magic items. Combat is projectile-based, movement is essential, enemies are unique and vary in type and abilities.
- Original soundtrack ranging from tense to serene ambient, spiced up with bursts of metal. Also, did I mention the legendary Alexander Brandon? If you enjoyed the Unreal and Deus Ex soundtracks, you're in for a treat!
- Thousands of hours of work put into an original concept, digitally hand-drawn graphics (textures, sprites, frame by frame animations etc.), scripting, sound effects and level design, all by a one man dev team aiming to create a unique game with a unique atmosphere.
- Six to eight hours of good 'ol singleplayer action with five difficulties including Brutalizing, which changes the gameplay to allow interesting second playthroughs (different fights & pick-ups, companions etc.).
- It's very light on storage (under 300mb) and well optimized. It's also portable so no DRM and no online ties either - you buy it, it's yours!
Hedon is an oldschool game, and that's pretty much enough of a description. You will be dropped in a hostile world that has its own workings, characters and intrigues, and you will be expected to fend for yourself. The build up is slow and steady, the story is consistent, the combat is fast paced and ruthless. You will sometimes find yourself lost in a non linear level design with various aesthetics (forest, caves, forge, barracks, snowy mountain etc.) where exploration and learning by yourself is the key to improve.
You may find that Hedon takes a certain amount of atmosphere, gameplay, color and inspiration from games such as Unreal, Blood, Thief, Arx Fatalis, Serious Sam etc. but nonetheless aims to be original at all times.